Both big data and bioinformatics are fields that are pretty much popular in this modern world. Big data is known to help companies and organizations by building a new growth opportunity. Bioinformatics carries the principles of IT in Biotechnology and it is considered to be a science, which was recently developed. But how is it changing the field of biology? To find the answer to this question, take a look at the information, which is provided below.
The impacts of big data in biology
With the availability of big data, it has the power to change several areas of the life science field and provide news ways to conduct research. Life sciences are said to have a long history when it comes to dealing with data. But due to the recent advances within the experimental capabilities, it has increased the amount of data, which is required to be analyzed and store. The computational power for the researchers has also improved greatly. But the heterogeneity and the volume of the data has outrun the tools and strategies that are available for their analysis and collection.
The importance of big data in biology:
Big data is used in biological science for many reasons and more frequently. The volume of data, which is now available, gives rise to numerous questions about the research process. Some of them are like the purpose of know-how within data interpretation, the role of theory, and the importance of context. Apart from that, the popular features of big data namely volume, velocity, and variety are used for catalyzing the development of analytical and technical strategies.
The role of bioinformatics in biology
Under the term of bioinformatics, it utilizes the techniques of information technology to manipulate and understand biological data. The methods and tools, which are applied towards computational technology are said to be adapted by storing, analyzing, and managing biological data – the name given to this is stream processing. The main goal of bioinformatics is to analyze all the important biological data and uncover the secrets about life and organisms. With the help of this knowledge, it will help you improve in the fields of biotechnology, health, energy, agriculture, and the environment.
Things to know about biological sciences:
Biological sciences are known to carry a massive amount of data. It is all because of the explosion of techniques and tools within the fields of cell and molecular biology and genomics. To manage all this information can be pretty difficult, but to properly manage it you need to know how to manipulate and analyze the data. It is also known as an interdisciplinary science that needs the knowledge of statistics, mathematics, and computer science to successfully manage the information. Apart from that, it takes the help of computers to analyze, store, and manage the entire data.
The importance of bioinformatics in biology:
The term bioinformatics was considered to be termed during the 1990s and during those times it merely dealt in protein sequence data, DNA, and mRNA. But at speed in which the biological data is generated, it needs good analytical techniques, which can be provided through bioinformatics, as it is the only way to do. There are several different types of biological data, which can also be properly analyzed with the help of bioinformatics techniques and some of them are microarrays, gene expressions, protein structure, drug designing, and many more.
The areas of biology that is covered by bioinformatics:
There are several types of areas in the biology field, which can be covered with the help of bioinformatics and some of the important ones are mentioned below. Take a look!
- Medical Informatics: Under this area, the medical and biomedical data is managed concerning molecules and biomolecules.
- Functional Genomics: This particular area involves the identification of genes along with their specialized functions.
- Structural Genomics: Structural Genomics is known as the prediction of the functions of protein and three- dimensional structure.
- Comparative Genomics: In this area, the complete genomes of different organisms can be easily studied and compared. Apart from the genomes of a variety of strains can also be compared for the function and structure. Since there is a lot of information available, so there is no choice but to automate the entire information.
- DNA Microarrays: This area of biology is to measure the expression of genes within the cells and in various types of diseases to identify SNPs. It is also known as the series of DNA probes. The hybridization of the probe to target is the structure and analyze and due to the presence of thousands of probes the genetics can be done at the same time.
Applications of bioinformatics used in biology:
- Plant Genetic Resources Data Base: Plant genetic resource is known as the genetic material of plants that are known to carry a value both for the present and future generations of people. It also goes by the names of germplasm, genetic stock, and gene pool. Bioinformatics is said to handle important sets of data on descriptors. These descriptors provide uniform recording of observations on the germplasm of crop plants across the world.
- Planning of breeding programs: The plant breeders are known to plan different types of breeding programs each year. For such planning, computers play there part as an important tool as they help in performing many activities like sowing plans for different breeding experiments, breeder seed production plans, etc. Apart from that, germplasm collection, distribution, evaluation, observation, and documentation plans can also be done.
- Studies on Plat Modeling:To perform proper studies on plant modeling, computers can be a useful tool. The theoretical model can be created and prepare through a computer by keeping all the various plants in view. This will help in modeling plants with the help of directional and hybridization selection.
There are many ways both big data and Bioinformatics have changed the area of biology and this document carries all the information on it. Since both of them are different technologies, so the changes within biology will also be different, and following the information in the document will help you learn and understand the changes well.