If you have an expiring Indian Passport or have filled all the pages, there is no other way. You have to apply for a passport reissue or renewal. Thus you should have a new passport or valid extension. To do it, you have to fill up the passport application form. You can issue a brand new Passport for ten years or adults, but they provide a five years extension to teens under 18, and they give your old passport return to you. If you want to know how to apply for an Indian passport renewal from USA, here is your step-by-step guide to complete the procedure.
Table of Contents
If your passport is expiring, and you have a valid visa stamped in your passport, they will not cancel it, and you can travel with both the passport to reflect the valid Visa and renewed passport.
Please Note:- passport renewal or reissue is not for B1/BE visa holders and temporary visitors of the USA.
Things You Should Know About The Indian Passport Renewal Process:
VFS Global handles all Indian passport services, but Indian consulates do not accept passport-related services directly. You have to do communication and application through VFS Global only. You require to fill an online order form through this website for passport-related activities, no matter you apply through mail or in-person. Your application must have a copy of this form to enable VFS real-time tracking system for your application.
Procedure For Indian Passport Renewal From USA:
Either you can apply in person or sending a post to VFS Global. Both types of procedures need you to complete the same process for your application. Here are steps you can follow.
You must first know in which consular jurisdiction you have to apply for your passport service.
Second Step:- Submit your required documents.
- Fill out this Online Application form.
- Then you have to choose the type of service you want in the application form. It is a Reissue Of a Passport.
- Complete this VFS Global Form.
- Then after attaching your supporting docs.
Third Step:- Make payment for the passport renewal fee.
First Step:- Consular Jurisdiction
In this stage, you come to know that where you should apply for your Indian Passport Renewal From USA. Here I have plotted the details about the jurisdiction based on your US residence so that you can find the right place.
VFS Global At Washington DC:
- Monday to Friday 9:00 AM to 2 PM & 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM at 1025 Vermont Ave, NW, Suite 320, Washington DC 20005, USA.
- Consular jurisdictions at Bermuda, Delaware, Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.
- It takes one week to three weeks or a maximum of 6 weeks of processing time.
VFS Global At New York:
- Monday to Friday 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM & 4:00 AM to 6:00 PM at 145 W 45th Street, third floor, New York, 10036, USA.
- Consular jurisdictions are Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
- It takes some additional days.
VFS Global At Chicago IL:
- Monday to Friday 9:00 AM to 2 PM & 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM at 180 N Stetson Avenue, 20th floor, suite#, 2075, Chicago Illinois, 60601, USA.
- Consular jurisdictions are Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Michigan, and Wisconsin.
- It takes a minimum of four weeks to six weeks or even more.
VFS Global At Houston TX:
- Monday to Friday 9:00 AM to 2 PM & 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM at 1001 Texas Ave #550, Houston TX 77002, USA.
- Consular jurisdictions ate Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas, Mexico, Colorado, and Nebraska.
- It takes one to three weeks or even six weeks sometimes.
VFS Global At San Francisco CA:
- Monday to Friday 9:00 AM to 2 PM & 4:00 PM to 6 PM at 228 Grant Ave, Floor 5, San Francisco, CA 94108, USA.
- Consular jurisdictions are Alaska, Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.
- It takes one to three weeks to complete the process.
VFS Global At Atlanta GA:
- Monday to Friday 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM & 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM at 5607, Glenridge Drive NE, Suite No.725, Atlanta, GA-30342, USA.
- Consular jurisdictions are Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, and the Virgin Islands.
- It takes six to eight weeks and additional four weeks if the passport is referred for clearance.
Second Step:- Documents Required For Indian Passport Renewal From USA:
- VFS Order Form’s Copy.
- A signed and filled checklist, print the same, tick mark it, and arrange your application in the correct order before submitting it.
- Applicants have to sign and fill the online application form.
- Keep three duplicates of the filled nationality verification form or Personal Particulars Form and three photos for your Particular Form.
- Keep three recent photos in color with the dimensions 2” x 2” with facing against the white background. You need eight photographs of your passport if your passport has expired for more than three years. Attach one photo on the online application form in its correct position, and attach another one on the nationality verification form. Staple the rest of the photograph on the last page of the application form.
- Attach one notarized color copy of your Green Card or Employment Authorisation Card or Legal Status of US like H1B/B1/B2 Visa. Check which applies to you.
- Attach your existing passport, but attach your previous one if your current one is less than five years old.
- Attach duplicates of the first five pages and two pages of the current passport.
The application fee is not refundable.
Notarized Docs You Have To Submit:
When you apply through email or in-person, make sure you attach duplicates of supporting notarized docs. It includes;
- Attach a color-duplicate copy of your current US visa on your passport or Green Card or Employment Authorisation Card or I-797 approval notice documents. Students have to attach an I-20 doc.
- If you have an expired visa, attach a notarized copy of the receipt notice to extend your Visa. Also, present a valid passport and Green Card of two witnesses.
- You need seven copies of your Nationality Verification Form, each with real photographs. It is for New York, Houston, and San Francisco. If you are in Atlanta, Chicago, or Washington, you have to present at the consulate an in-person interview before applying passport application.
- If your current passport doesn’t have your spouse’s name, you require a notarized copy of the marriage certificate. Also, you need a US ID or passport copy of your spouse.
- For female applicants, a notarized affidavit of change in name from maiden to married is essential.
- Your residential proof, like driving license, State ID, rental lease agreement, or home mortgage bill, is essential as a photocopy. You can use State ID for above 60.
- If you have an expired passport for more than six months, you have to present a written explanation of WHY YOU DID NOT RENEW YOUR PASSPORT IN THE REQUIRED TIME. If it is the case, you need a notarized affidavit and seven copies of the nationality verification form, each having your real photo. If you are in Houston, you need to present four points affidavit too.
- One affidavit for the chance of appearance and the present notarized photo is essential if you have changed your appearance.
Note:- you have to check or visit the embassy, consular jurisdictions, or passport application center for other required documents.
Submission Of Your Application:
You can submit all your documents through UPS or Fodex envelope only. Read specifications of this envelope on VFS Website. They don’t encourage you to submit to other specifications, and you can not alter this envelope. You can print a shipping label from the website. Keep only one application per envelope, or else they reject multiple applications in a single envelope.
Third Step:- Pay Passport Reissue/Renewal Fee For 10 Years
You can pay fees through a credit card. They change their rates without prior notice. Here is the fee structure.
- Passport fees are $3 for adults/minors and another category for ICWF Community Fund – Indian Welfare.
- The passport fee for VFS service for adults/minors and another category is 15.50$ per application. So, the total amount you have to pay is 18.50$ only.
Payment’s Terms & Conditions:
- Pay separately for each application.
- You’ll be charged for a credit card.
- No cash or personal checks is allowed.
- If you don’t pay fees, VFS is not responsible for any delays or consequential charges you may have to pay.
You can fill this form on the Indian Consulate Website. It redirects you to VFS once you have finished filling out the form. There, you will click on ALREADY FILLED with the reference number given to you on the government website and continue the process.
Did you understand how you can apply for an Indian passport renewal from USA? In this step-by-step guide tutorial, I have included all required information to make you knowledgeable about applying for the renewal or reissue of your Indian passport from the USA. You must be very careful while preparing your documents to avoid inconvenience and delays in getting a brand new Indian Passport.