Are you traveling to Louisiana? Or you might have recently visited this place, or you have gone to your relative’s home and tasted something special, called Crawfish Etouffee. This dish is full of meat of crawfish tails dipped into the gravy of spices and herbs. Did you try it with Rice? This article will teach you how to make Louisiana’s famous dish, Crawfish Etouffee, with three easy-to-learn and practice recipes. So, if you want to make your friends, family members, or guests surprised with this unique recipe, go ahead with this article read it till the end. Let’s begin the journey of Louisiana’s cuisine.
What Is Crawfish Etouffee?
This recipe is a simple bowl of meaty and sweet Crawfish, and mainly you can serve it with the rich and flavorful gravy made at your home. It includes the ingredients like bell peppers and celery, lots of garlic, spicy Cajon seasonings, and freshly chopped herbs.
The name of this recipe itself is French with “To Smother.” It means that the gravy is used to smother the Crawfish.
It’s one of Louisiana’s most straightforward food recipes, and after one bite, you can’t stop enjoying this recipe.
Do You Know About crawfish etouffee Season?
Between November and July, it’s time for Crawfish to grow its species in Louisiana. So, from November to July, Lousiana enjoys the season of Crawfish, but it also depends on the weather.
The preparation of any Crawfish recipe starts with boiling the fish called a crawfish boil and adding lots of seasonings and corns.
How To Make Crawfish Etouffee At Home?
Crawfish is quite famous for Etouffee, and we will discuss it in this article. Do you know how to make crawfish Etouffee and what ingredients you can use to make it taste like authentic cuisine? Let’s discuss three recipes.
- Butter (or vegetable oil or peanut oil is ok)
- Flour (all-purpose)
- Bell pepper
- Jalapeno peppers (optional for extra heat)
- Salt & black pepper for flavors
- Stock (you can use chicken stock, vegetable stock, or seafood stock. All makes homemade crawfish Etouffee the best one)
- Cajun Seasonings (make it at your home by Cajon seasoning blend. Creole seasoning is also a great option)
- Chop some fresh parsley
- Tails of Louisiana Crawfish
- Add extra chopped fresh parsley, green onions, hot sauce, and spicy chili flakes to Garnish.
- Of course, Cooked Rice to serve with it.
Recipe Procedure Steps (Roux):
- Take a large pot and keep it on medium heat.
- Add butter to it, and let it melt.
- Add all-purpose flour to the melted butter and stir it for five minutes. It will turn copper in color but ensure it doesn’t burn.
Recipe Procedure Steps (Vegetables Cooking):
After five minutes, add celery, garlic, bell pepper, and onion. Let these vegetables cool for five minutes.
Add Cajon seasonings, salt, black pepper, and other peppers, and add the stock. Let it boil, and after that, reduce the flame and simmer it for 20 minutes. You can stir occasionally, and it will have good flavors.
Add Parsley & Crawfish
Add the tails of Louisiana Crawfish and let them become warm throughout, and remove the pot from the flame and stir in the Parsley.
How To Serve Etouffee?
You can serve it with white Rice over it, Garnish it with more Parsley, and use chili flakes to enhance flavors.
Things To Consider (Pro Tips):
- If you use raw Crawfish, you must cook the peeled tails of Louisiana Crawfish with peppers, celery, and onions and keep following the next steps. So, while simmering, the tails will cook throughout.
- You can use some bay leaves to add a nice flavor here in your recipe. Some tomatoes can enhance your recipe to a Creole Version.
- Do you want to add some protein? You can use some seafood like shrimp or fish. It will add some protein to your recipe.
I have covered steps with a straightforward explanation in this recipe, and you can quickly follow them. It takes hardly 30 minutes to get your recipe, and you are a step away from making guests surprised.
Have you tried this recipe and enjoyed it with your family members? Please don’t keep it to yourself only, and share with others. You can share this article to help new food makers. Let them know how it turned out to you by sharing your thoughts here. Do you have any questions about this recipe? Please ask in the comment box, and we will solve your queries.
Here is another recipe of Etouffee to make at your home without any prior experience of making seafood recipes. It’s an even shorter recipe, and you can quickly follow the steps without any problems.
- It takes hardly ten minutes to prepare for this recipe.
- You need 30 minutes of cooking time.
- You can yield four servings per recipe.
- Four tablespoons of butter or peanut oil
- Chop a medium-sized onion
- Four tablespoons of flour (all-purpose flour)
- Chop a medium size bell pepper or use jalapeno pepper
- Chop one stalk of celery
- Use four cloves of garlic
- Cajon seasonings to taste
- Cayenne pepper is optional ( a teaspoon)
- Black pepper and salt to taste
- Two cups of stocks (any)
- Partially cooked one pound of crawfish tail meat
- A tablespoon of parsley (chopped)
- Keep extra chopped Parsley, hot sauce, chili flakes for garnish.
- Use cooked Rice to serve with it.
Recipe Procedure Steps:
- Take a large pan and keep on medium heat.
- Add butter or oil and let it be heated.
- Add the flour to make the roux. Keep stirring for five minutes, but don’t make it burnt.
- Add celery, onion, pepper, garlic, and cook them for five minutes.
- Add Cajon seasonings, pepper, salt, cayenne, and stock. Reduce the heat and keep it twenty minutes to leave flavors. Occasionally stir.
- Now add the tails of Louisiana Crawfish and let them become warm.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add Parsley.
Garnish it with some extra parsley, spicy chili flakes, and hot sauce before serving it with cooked white Rice.
Of course, it’s finished! Wasn’t that too easy? You can make the traditional Louisiana Crawfish Etouffee Recipe in cuisine style by following these simple steps.
Did you learn how to make this recipe? You must share it with people who would love to try it. You can leave your thoughts on this page to let users know how it turned out to you and how you enjoyed it.
Still not satisfied with these two recipes? Here is the quickest recipe for this article. Don’t forget to read about this too!
- One-fourth of cups of unsalted butter
- One cup of finely chopped onion
- One-fourth cups of flour (all-purpose)
- One-half cups of green bell pepper (chopped)
- One-fourth of cups of freshly chopped celery
- Two minced garlic cloves
- Two cups of any stocks
- A teaspoon of kosher salt
- Crack black pepper
- Teaspoons Cajon seasonings
- Take a pound of Louisiana Crawfish tails
- A tablespoon of freshly chopped Parsley
- Slice one-fourth cup of green onion (keep extra for garnish)
- Cooked Rice
Recipe Procedure Steps:
Start with making a roux. Put a large skillet on medium heat and stir the flour in the butter or oil. Keep stirring for five minutes and let it change the color.
- Add bell pepper, celery, onion, and cook for five minutes. Also, add garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add stock to it and let it leave the flavors. So, cook for 15 to 20 minutes at low heat.
- Add pepper, salt, and Cajon seasonings.
- Let it boil and add crawfish tails.
- Let it cook for some time and get heated.
- Add Parsley, garnish, and green onion to it.
Add freshly chopped Parsley and onions to serve it hot.
Here’s Pro Tip:
If you are buying seafood, you must make sure that you have checked the labels about the expiry dates. You can’t simply buy anything packed in the package.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do chefs suggest these recipes?
Yes, all recipes are suggested by master chefs.
Can I vary the recipes?
You can vary, but don’t change the proportions. For example, if you want to add any specific flour, make sure the same amount.
Is this recipe spicy?
Yes, but you can make it spicier by adding more spicy chili flakes or reducing the spiciness by avoiding it.
Did you understand how to make crawfish Etouffee at your home? This article has discussed more practical things about this Louisianian dish, and you can try this at home. Master chefs prefer all these recipes, and you can trust the process. If you have tried any of these three recipes, let us know how it turned out for you. Also, share your reviews about this article. It will help new food makers to learn how to make it. So, your words are worthy for us.