Technology refers to the application of science, used to solve problems. It is a collection of skills, methods and techniques to achieve a certain goal. Today various technologies have become an extension of human being. The cutting edge technologies have made the life of people so easier that people are becoming dependent of them. It enabled us to achieve efficiency in all sectors of life. It has simplified the access to many tools people need in like transportation, education, medicine, communication etc. The negative side of poorly using technology has resulted in the pollution of the environment and it has also caused a serious threat to society. Technology is usually not harmful to society, but the way society uses technology results into its negative impact.
Emerging Technologies has most affected the field of Artificial Intelligence, Virtual Reality, Medicines, transportation, agriculture and various departments of Engineering. Technology is often developed by science and engineering to solve the needs. The advancement of technology in the medical field has not only found the cure for some very harmful diseases but has also increased the life expectancy of humans. The negative effect is increasing in population due to the increase in birth rate and a decrease in death rate. In the field of computer applications, the development of Artificial Intelligence has made life easier but here it’s negative side is that it is taking away jobs and also making people lazy.
Positive Impacts of Technology on Society:
- Technology in Agriculture: The use of technology in agriculture has resulted in the manufacturing of genetic crops which has the ability to grow fast and they are usually resistant to many pests and diseases. Farmers also have access to artificial fertilizers which is mixed with the soil and it helps to boost the growth of their crops and enable them to produce high-quality yields.
- Technology in Transportation: Advancement in technology has not only improved the small scale transportation but also led to space transportation, people have now reached to the moon and mars. One can reach distant places within minutes. A lot of time is saved due to the use of Technology in this field.
- Technology in Communication: Electronic media like radios, social media, televisions, the internet have improved the way we exchange ideas. Despite being far away, people are connected. The revolution of technology in this sector has connected each and every people in the world.
- Technology in Education: Newer generation gets hands-on experience by the school and colleges on different technologies so that they are aware of every scientific development around the globe. Engineering Colleges in Hyderabad, Bangalore, Delhi etc. have changed their syllabus according to the industry requirements. For Example, many colleges have included AI( Artificial Intelligence) in their courses and are teaching the students in their entire bachelors.
Negative Impacts of Technology on Society:
- Increase in Population: Technology has helped us live longer by improving health facilities and finding solutions for most health problems which affect humans. In developing countries, the rate at which people produce is very high, the mortality rate is becoming low due to improved health care, due to this the food becomes scarce, and it leading to poverty.
- Increase in Pollution: When Industries build products, they release harmful chemicals and gases which have polluted our environment and this has resulted in global warming. People are coming up with technologies to reduce emissions for reduction of environmental degradation.